Arsenal

12

Arsenal

AA23
Arsenal have a good set of fixtures now.  Most of us already have Santi Cazorla, but where do we get our other coverage from?

Overall I like Giroud but think we're a week away from confirming if he's a 90 minute man.  I would imagine this week could be a cracker for Giroud but is that enough to make me drop Berbatov, Suarez or Ba? If Berbatov was confirmed as a doubt I think I'd shift Berbatov to Giroud . I imagine that Suarez to Giroud may be a popular move next week if Suarez draws another blank and Giroud scores.

I like Vermaelen too, but Baines/GJ/Vermaelen is a complete overspend so I won't be making that move.

What are you guys thinking?

Goalkeeper - None
No clear pick due to injury

Defenders - Vermaelen
Sagna is coming back so the RB position is up for grabs.
Gibbs is injured, so Santos would most likely only be short-term
Mertesacker seems preferred at the moment, but Koscielny will steal minutes and personally I would see him slotting in there long-term

Midfielders - Santi Cazorla, Arteta
The rest seem to me like they could be benched at any time.

Strikers - None/Giroud?
Podolski is deployed as a wide player, so I wouldn't be bringing him in when players in his position in other teams are classified as midfielders.

Re: Arsenal

@shots_on_target
Administrator
Hi mate, great idea for a thread.  If you don't mind I am going to create a link to and from this thread and my "Arsenal Fantasy Page",  It;d be good if we could put their fixture list up in here too at some point.

I agree that Arsenal have a super run of fixtures and, less we forget, are one of the top 2-3 attacking teams in the league.

GK - agree.  wouldn't touch until they clear up the position.  After that sure.
DEF - I have avoided Jenks from the outset due to the threat of Sagna. I didn't research fully though and Jenks points scored so far would have justified a quick move for him.. That boat has sailed though.  I have GIbbs and think he is first choice. I had Merte too but once Koscielny returned I had to move him on.  I agree that the two will be rotated.  One of the two may emerge to claim the position but until then....   Verm - I do not think he the same attacking threat as he was last year.   I noticed this in his stats from the first few games of the season.  His average touches and passes received in the final 3rd (4) is half the league average (9)  compared  compare to Gibbs (16), Johnson ( or Baines (19).  I think part of Arsenals' new defensive setup is not letting their CBs get forward too much.

MID - Obv. Cazorla.  The rest are a mixed bunch, like you said.  I was interested in Gervinho but only as a CF and I never thought he would keep that position.  With Walcott injured Ox-C could get more gametime and seems a worthwhile to monitor.  Can he edge out Ramsey on the right, particular in easier fixtures?  Too much risk for the price.

FWD - So, so tempted by Giroud.  I think you are spot on - one more good week and the word will be out.  His share of Arsenal's choice shots is impressive ( I have down as taking top share (34%) of Arsenal's best scoring opportunities, that;s despite a pretty poor first few games and a lack of minutes.  Scored in midweek against Spain too.  My transfer this week is probably Defoe to Giroud . Podolski I just cannot see contributing enough in comparison to Giroud.

Overall, I will prob be owning and playing Gibbs (need to check up on his injury), Caz and Giroud for the forseeable future.

Re: Arsenal

@shots_on_target
Administrator

Re: Arsenal

High As A Kuyt
Personally at the back i'm waiting on Sagna to return, if/when he nails his spot back on, which I expect to be soon he looks very good value considering the fixtures and Arsenals relatively decent defense this year. If he becomes a rotation risk with Jenkinson, then I think it makes more sense to shell out the extra on Rafeal or Clichy* considering Cities fixtures and Raf's attacking threat. If Arsenal continue to get Clean sheets, Gibbs will make sense. but i'm not completely there yet at his price.

(*I know Clichy is a rotation risk, but that is the game you play with City defenders unless you want to shell out on Kompany who is probably overpriced. Stats wise, I think they suggest City will start collecting Clean sheets regularly sometime soon*)

A little tidbit, but Arsenal and Sunderland rotate pretty well in the long term, based on fixtures not Home/Away.

Cazorla is a no brainier. If Walcott ever nailed down a spot, he would be a really nice option.

Up front, Giroud makes sense, id still be a little worried about the rotation risk, but aside from that he makes a tempting target. I currently own Podolski, who is looking good for a straight swap either next GW or in GW11 after United.

Re: Arsenal

SuperGrover
Agreed this is an awesome idea.  I may try and post on a couple more teams when I have a spare moment.

GK - Agreed.  No sense in wasting money here with so many solid options 5 mil and below.

DEF - I like Sagna a lot at his price as I feel the extra 0.4 is probably worth the slight rotation risk.  Jenkinson has played better than expected but is not at the Frenchman's level.  With that said, Gibbs is spot on and his price is more than affordable if healthy.

MID - Even if the non-Santi players were locked I would not be excited about this group.  Gervinho had good numbers on top but that was primarily due to the chances created by Cazorla.  Is he not a finisher although his energy and pace will keep him in the lineup at wing.  The others simply are non-ownable.

FWD - Podolski is not ownable to me at this point.  He is a great player, but his wing role is not putting him into positions to score.  At his price, I don't see how you can justify him over Berb, Ba, Fletcher, Crouch, Jelly,...heck I'd rather have Long or Kone.  Pass.

Giroud is very interesting. As you mentioned they have a very delectable run of fixtures upcoming and Giroud could be an every week starter until GW 22 (except for the @MUN game).  He certainly provides an option in that mid-tier.

Personally, I am still trying to determine what to do with my strikers.  I am convinced that Berb has a place in my lineup when healthy.  I have Lambert and Suarez and like them both to some extent, but see compelling options in Giroud and Aguero at the upper end and Crouch and maybe Kone at the lower end.

BTW, I think Arsenal is the second best team in the league at the moment behind City.  I know they lost at home to Chelsea, but they were the better side in my opinion.  Further, they have played a killer schedule going at MCI, Stoke and Liverpool while getting Chelsea at home.  The Sunderland home draw is a bit of a mark, but I think they end up grabbing the second spot before it's all said and done.

I don't see anyone beating City unless Mancini destroys that club through rotation.

Re: Arsenal

SuperGrover
Interesting you would choose Clichy as your City defender.  I personally like Zabaletta myself.  He has improved and seems to have Mancini's confidence moreso than any non-Kompany defender (he's started every UCL and EPL game but one).  I know Richards' return may impact him, but he would be my selection of City players.

Re: Arsenal

High As A Kuyt
I actually have Zaba myself, but I think he will face more competition from Maicon/Richards then Clichy from Kol. Clichy also brings a bit more going forward.

If city start to rack up clean sheets, id be tempted by both rather then Rafa/Sagna as City have the fixtures and stats to back them.

Not that Sagna or Raf would be bad choices mind you and I may well go for Sagna due to his value and to diversify out.

Only argument I can make for Pod, and bear in mind i'm looking to ship him out, he has a decent number of KP's for a forward (6 in the last game), is on some set pieces and maybe penalties. If he was to get more chances, he would be a well rounded forward with goals and assist potential.

But so far, he has simply not registered enough shots.

Re: Arsenal

SuperGrover
You may be right on Clichy.  All I know is that trying to predict what Mancini will do makes one go a bit batty.  I ended up taking a 4 point hit to swap Guthrie for Sterling because I was convinced Yaya was getting the day off and had no backups except some defenders with horrible matchups (Figueroa and Cuellar).

I don't like Mancini much.

I have Rafael and Baines now and will play them pretty much every week.  Cuellar is solid at 4.5 when the matches fall.  I need two to replace Figueroa and Rangel and am currently debating between Cole, a City defender, Johnson/Skrtel, and Sagna/Gibbs.  I will probably make my first pickup next week so am hoping to get a bit of clarity by then.

Agreed on Podolski's CC, but he just never gets in the box.  He is so excellent and comfortable out wide, I just don't see it turning around for him.  Luckily you have plenty of options at that range and his points to date have been solid if unspectacular.

Re: Arsenal

AA23
Good to get others thoughts down on the page.

I think the uncertainty over Berbatov may drive me to Giroud for this week.  I feel Arsenal will come out and register a good result and I want the returns.

I think there will be a point where I'll end up dropping Suarez and I think that is my buy back into Berbatov.  I've persisted with him since the injury but unless there is some concrete information I'm going to move him on for Giroud which means probably replacing Hazard.

Is it coincidence I can exactly do Berbatov/Hazard to Giroud/Mata?

I agree over Sagna, he is well ahead of Jenkinson, but given his injury history last season I wouldn't be surprised to see him eased in, although injury wise it was clearly very unlucky.  The argument falls both ways in that Arsenal's fixtures are good meaning Jenkinson may continue as he's doing nothing wrong, but I'd prefer to think it means it's time to ease Sagna back for when things get tight.

Re: Arsenal

SuperGrover
Interestingly, I am going the opposite route and taking Berb now while maybe going for Giroud later.

What do you think of the value of Johnson versus the uncertainty of the cheaper City defenders?  Like I said, I plan on making a defensive swap next week and am fairly high on Johnson and the City boys as I wait for Sagna to get locked in.

Love the discussion here, btw.  Not to discount other sites, but it's nice to have discussion with folks who see things in similar ways, at least when it comes to evaluating performance.

Re: Arsenal

AA23
I love GJ this season.  His statistics are tremendous, he had 7 shots in the opening 4 games and was leading Baines through a set of horrendous fixtures.  As the fixtures have eased up he's only added a couple so I'm not sure what's happened there.

I love him in the price bracket and I do expect Liverpool to come good, but how good I'm not so sure.

I'm enjoying the discussion here too, keep it up.  I'm not as clear on the numbers as I'm just using WhoScored, but it's good to see the numbers are quite representative of what you guys are coming up with.

In other news it might be a good time to pick up Mertesacker with Koscielny ruled out.  The Twitter feed indicated Walcott might be back next week but no mention of Koscielny.  I'd imagine Mertesacker is good for at least the next 3 games, where as Santos is probably only good for this weekend.

Berbatov has been included in the squad, so that leaves me with a major headache now.  Berbatov is the low risk route, but with no obvious transfers to make I'm looking for a move that could shift some cash around a bit back into my front line.

Do you guys view Giroud as nailed on? I suppose I'm looking for a "Yes" but the reality is I think we're a week away like I said in the opening post.  With Theo out, he's nailed for this week.  Is Theo and Ox his only threat, in that Gervinho moves central if they play? I would imagine that the spot is now Giroud's to lose given Walcott is injured and Ox hasn't set the world alight recently.

Re: Arsenal

SuperGrover
Given Giroud's offensive skill and Gervinho's lack of consistency I can't imagine how he loses the job without a series of awful performances.  He is clearly a class ahead in my opinion.

I think the risk of Giroud is pretty low.  With that said, I don't see him having much upside over Berbatov, mainly because I believe Berbatov will be the best value in the league this season presuming no injuries.  However, I see Giroud as a clear contender as a forward spot and a probable alternative to the frustration that is Luis Suarez.

The only wrench in the plans could be UCL schedulig impacts.  How much rest will Wenger give his starters against some of the EPL minnows?

Still though should rest become an issue one could easily swap Giroud out for Suare or a cheaper option (there are numerous).

I guess that's a long way of saying that you don't really have a bad answer here.

Re: Arsenal

AA23
I always find it a daunting prospect to only have one Arsenal player to rely on through good fixtures.

Berbatov is tremendous value, but I probably prefer Ba in the short-term.  I guess having value locked in Ba makes that move more difficult as the knock on effect of it not working would be harder to remedy.

Re: Arsenal

AA23
I think it's time to update the situation at Arsenal given there are a few about to return from injury and some have already returned.

Goalkeeper - None at present
Thoughts - In a couple of weeks Szcesney at £5.3m represents incredible value if he can stay fit

Defenders - Vermaelen, Mertesacker, Sagna
Thoughts - We should know Sagna's situation a bit better in a couple of weeks.  I think he's here to stay and looked good at the weekend but he might need an adjustment period.  Once Gibbs is back he has the left-back slot nailed.  Santos has been terrible and this has been well documented.  Mertesacker has been solid at the back and I think this slot is now his until the schedule tightens a bit.

Midfielders - Santi Cazorla, Arteta
Thoughts - Similar thoughts as before with the midfield.  Wilshire will feature here but he's a good few weeks away from being locked on.  Walcott and Arshavin intrigue me here as players that could score well if played, but again stay clear until they get sufficient game time.

Striker - Giroud
Thoughts - Gervinho has been poor over the last four and Giroud's problem is lack of service.

Re: Arsenal

High As A Kuyt
Walcott is playing for either a new contract or to be picked up by another club between now and January…

That sweetens the pot. Players tend to step it up when playing for a future. E.g. Rosicky last year.

Nice price as well now. Just a musing.

Re: Arsenal

AA23
Walcott is certainly one to add.

Unfortunately I'm all in on Arsenal at the moment so can't make a quick move if he starts performing.  I suppose I could ditch Santi, but I would probably be reluctant to do so.

It'll be interesting to see him over the next two or three.

Re: Arsenal

SuperGrover
They certainly need him.  They looked, to put it kindly, slow last week.  They need some pace and Walcott can run.  I think a return of Diaby will help as well.

Currently I am rethinking Santi.  If I go Rooney I can only afford two big hitting mids to go with Fellaini, Sterling and someone 8.0 or less.  Currently I have Mata and Santi but will have to ensure that Bale and possibly Silva when fit aren't better players.

Re: Arsenal

Talk of the Crowd
What is the latest consensus on the Arsenal defense?

I can afford one of Mertesacker or Gibbs and there seems to be more love for the former here. Is there a risk of a Vermaelen/Koscielny CB pairing at some point (as Wegner indicated he'd rotate to depending on the opposition earlier in the season) or has Mertesacker made the position his own now? Gibbs has started every match he's been fit for.

There's little difference in cost (£5.3m vs £5.4m) but I worry about Gibbs staying fit for a long stretch. Also, is there any chance of Arsenal rolling out something like Sagna, Mert, Kosc, Verm?

And besides all this, should I even be bothering with Arsenal defense at all?

Re: Arsenal

SuperGrover
I think the Arsenal defense is a bit overrated.  Don't get me wrong, it's still a good unit, but it's way behind City and quite a bit behind Stoke and Liverpool.  It's a a little behind Chelsea and Man U. as well, but close enough that they are similar.

Because of that, I don't see any real values in their backline as none of them are that cheap now.  If you are going to pay 5.3 for Mertesacker, you might as well pay 5.5 for Nastasic and buy in to a truly elite unit.  Yes, the rotation risk is greater, but the upside is much more than for Arsenal, IMO.

With that said, if you want into the unit. I don't see any reason to not go Gibbs or Mertesacker.  They both should play the majority of the time along with Vermaelen and Sagna.  Of course, if you are going Gibbs, I would ask why not just go with Sagna?

That's a long way of saying that any of Gibbs, Mert, Sagna are solid options if you want in on the Arsenal defense.

Re: Arsenal

AA23
I like the Arsenal defence, but as SG has said, you can get Nastasic for 0.1 more.  I got Mertesacker at 5.1 when Koscielny was injured.

They might be behind Chelsea and Man U in any rankings, but probably not worth the premium to move to a Chelsea defender and you just never know who's starting with United so I'd be looking at Mertesacker after Nastasic if you are set on picking a "top 4" defender.
12