Visualisation of Home/Away Attacking and Defending

Visualisation of Home/Away Attacking and Defending

AA23
This post was updated on .
I've put together a visualisation of how the teams have performed to date, in all home and away match ups, looking at how they have coped defensively and how their attacking numbers have been.  This isn't an attempt to reinvent the wheel or anything, but I find things like this quite useful, especially when fixture congestions hits and we see a team sheet and have 15 minutes to decide whether we want to take a chance on a player that wouldn't usually start but you have a transfer to burn.

Basically it is a visualisation of the teams data in relation to the average e.g. the average number of home goals scored is 8.65 and ManU have scored 15.  The values have been multiplied by 10 to give a clearer visual representation.  Those in green bars are in the upper quartile and those in the red bars are in the lower quartile.

Visual representation of attacking and defensive performance in relation to the league averages; by team
Data up to Gameweek 12

For a team to have any attacking success, they firstly need to get some shots off.  Further refinement of this, would unsurprisingly be for these teams to hit the target. For some teams, their attacks are clearly wasteful compared to others who's attack if efficient.  The efficiency will vary over the season and whilst it does take Suarez more shots to score, he will have a day where 2 out of 3 shots will end up in the back of the net.

I like using the shots metric alongside shots on target, because if a team are constantly taking shots, the law of averages indicates that some of them will either be on target or end up in the back of the net.  I much prefer a team with 50 shots with 10 on target, to a team that has 20 shots with 10 on target, although people might ask why I don't own Taarabt.

Team Attack

I see Manchester City as the pick of the bunch.  Solid shot data, regardless of where the tie is.

Home Performers: Tottenham; Liverpool; Chelsea; Swansea

Away Performers: Everton; Manchester United; Arsenal; Fulham

Team Defence

It surprises me to say that Arsenal seem to be solid overall.  These defenders can be played at home or away without any concerns.

Home Performers - Sunderland; Norwich; Everton

Away Performers - Manchester City; Tottenham; Liverpool

Re: Visualisation of Home/Away Attacking and Defending

SuperGrover
Good stuff. I do think it is another useful tool that can contribute here.  I personally would like to see this going forward.

It may be interesting to see the difference in Home/Away performance for each team.  As I've mentioned in the past, I do not adjust my model for individual home advantage, but rather use a generic 16% improvement across the board (16% represents that difference in home versus away goals scored in the EPL over the past decade).  I do question this but have seen nothing that indicates significant home/away advantage is consistent year-over-year or even week-over-week.  Might be interesting to use your data to help trend that hypothesis.

Re: Visualisation of Home/Away Attacking and Defending

@shots_on_target
Administrator
I think this is cracking.  Informative and Good-Looking Visualisation to boot!  I would like to see it updated on a weekly basis and would be very keen to post it on the site on a weekly basis with a reference to you of course, plus any narrative you want to add.

Would you be able to add the team's names again in another column to the left of the GA Home column.  Just a little tricky to track across and see who's team bar I am looking at.

Nice job.

Administrator
PS moving this to the main FPL analysis sub-forum, too good to be under "Misc" :)

Re: Visualisation of Home/Away Attacking and Defending

AA23
This post was updated on .
I like visualisation tools when it comes to those midweek fixtures and I'm struggling with which transfer to make.

I''ve added the teams name in with some commentary.  I've no issues with you posting and adding your own stamp. :-)

Re: Visualisation of Home/Away Attacking and Defending

AA23
Visual representation of attacking and defensive performance in relation to the league averages; by team
Data up to Gameweek 13

Team Attack

City are still top of the pops, but Liverpool have been registering good shot data both home and away.

Home Performers: Chelsea; Swansea; Tottenham

Away Performers: Arsenal; Everton; Fulham

Team Defence

After a cleansheet, Arsenal are surprisingly knocked off their perch here with City taking the top spot.

Home Performers - Arsenal; Liverpool; Norwich

Away Performers - Chelsea; Everton; Tottenham